‘“Captain Kev” Gleed has been a real pioneer and innovator in the field of lure fishing for bream. Here he admires a large eastern yellowfin bream taken on a metallic gold Stump jumper.’ from How to Catch Bream on Lures and Flies by Kaj Busch and Steve Starling.
Kaptain Kev – Wilderness fishing tours
About Kev’s Fishing Hostory
I first started fishing with lures in the estuaries in 1982. By 1984 I was targeting Bream, specifically, with lures. After many years of learning the tricks and tactics involved, I realized what an exciting sport it was. This resulted in me setting up “Wilderness Fishing Tours”, a business which was the first of its kind to rely on catching fish in estuaries of the South Coast (from Batemans Bay to Mallacoota), solely on lures, with Bream as the main target.
To set this business up I had to gain a Coxswain’s Certificate, which I did in June, 1993. Since the time I set up the business, NSW Fisheries have introduced restricted licences for all charter operators, and I am now the holder of a transferable charter fishing licence. I also participate in a tagging program with NSW Fisheries.
A beautiful Mulloway caught on a vibe while chasing bream
I have worked as a deckhand on a game fishing charter boat out of Tathra, fishing for Yellowfin Tuna. I have also skippered a reef charter boat out of Merimbula and I worked on a long liner, fishing for Broadbill, Southern Bluefin Tuna, Bigeye Tuna and Yellowfin Tuna.
- Oct, 1994. Appear The Great Outdoors with Steve Starling. At Mallacoota.
- September, 2004 Appear on Fishing Australia with Rob Paxevanos (WIN TV) fishing Moruya River
- June, 2005 Appear on Fishing Australia at Tuross River with Rob Paxevanos
- August, 2005 Appear on Fishing Australia at Gippsland lakes with Rob Paxevanos
- April, 2007 Appear on Discover Downunder at Tuross River with Rob Paxevanos
- May, 2007 Appear on Fishing Australia at Mallacoota with Rob Paxevanos
- August, 2007 The Fishing DVD number eight “Pop goes the Whiting” with Steve Starling
- April, 2008 Appear on Coxy’s Big Break at Mallacoota.
more to come!
Fishing Tournament Results
- May, 2002. Entered the Hummingbird National Bream Series. Fished 3 events, and qualified sixth in a team of ten to represent NSW. Placed 5th at Shoalhaven River, 11th at Wallis Lake Forster, 17th at Pumicestone Passage Caloundra.
- October, 2002 Placed 14th in the Grand Final of the Humminbird Bream Series.
- February, 2003 Fished in Round 1 of the Aust Bream Tournament (ABT) in Victoria at the Docklands. Placed 10th.
- February, 2003 Fished in Round 1 of the Aust Bass Tournament at Glenbawn Dam, NSW. Placed 33rd.
- March, 2003 Fished in Round 1 of the NSW ABT at Batemans Bay. Placed 6th
- March, 2003 Fished in Round 2 of the Victorian ABT at Mallacoota. Placed 1st. Qualified for the ABT Grand Final, to be held in October,
- 2003 as the Victorian Team Captain. Holder of the Aust record for the heaviest bag of Bream weighed-in in one day’s fishing at a tournament (5.97 kg) for 5 fish
- May, 2003 Fished in Round 2 of the NSW ABT at Forster. Placed 5th.
- October, 2003 Fished in the Grand Final Australian Bream Championships, Batemans Bay. Placed 2nd.
- December, 2003 Champion Angler, Winning Team, Brogo Bass Bash, Brogo Dam, NSW
- February, 2004 Fished in Round 1 Victorian ABT, Metung. Placed 2nd. Qualified for 2004 Grand Final.
- May, 2004 Megabream at Forster, NSW. 2 day event. Placed 10th on first day, 3rd day two. Overall 5th in team event.
- October, 2004 Grand Final, Forster NSW. Placed 22nd.
- December, 2004 Champion Angler, Winning Team, lure and fly division, Brogo Bass Bash, Brogo Dam NSW. Second year running.
- May, 2005 Bream Megabucks, Forster. Teams event. Placed 17th
- August, 2006 Mallacoota Vic Bream Classic – Team Event with Kaj Busch- 15th
- November, 2006 Vic Bream Classic Invitational– Team Event with Kaj Busch– 1st (Day 1), 5th overall
- May, 2007 Bream Megabucks, Forster. Teams event with Steve Duff. 4th day 1. 10th day 2. Overall 6th
# Dec, 1993. Endorsement from Kaj Busch. Modern Fishing.
- May, 1994. Endorsement from Steve Starling. Modern Fishing. Fishing Clyde River, Batemans Bay
- Dec, 1995. Front Cover of Dick Lewers’ Saltwater Favourites.
- 1993-1997 Numerous fishing tours conducted on the South Coast.
- Numerous photos in fishing magazines from 1996 through to the present.
- June, 2000. Endorsement from Kaj Busch and Steve Starling in hardback edition How to Catch Bream on Lures and Flies.
- November, 2004 Started writing fishing reports for NSW and Vic Fishing Monthly Magazines
- December, 2004 Appear in Fishing World Magazine in “A Guide to Guides Working The South Coast”
- January, 2005 Front cover of Fishing World. Appear in article “Experts Reveal Their Big Bream Secrets”
- April, 2006 Begin doing the Friday Fishing Report for South Coast
- July, 2006 Fishing World article: ‘Whiting on Poppers